ECM’s patented technology eliminates the need for wire winding and iron laminations used in conventional motors and generators, by embedding copper-etched conductors into a multi-layered printed circuit board to form a stator that works in conjunction with permanent magnets.
With no steel in the stator, all cogging is eliminated.
ECM’s continuous coil design limits internal connections and increases life expectancy.
PrintStator software reduces design cycle time and improves design flexibility.
Typical designs utilizing ECM’s patented technology range in efficiency from the low to mid 90s.
Motors designed with ECM stators weigh up to 70% less than traditional motors and use up to 80% less raw materials.
A thermal design with a continuous copper path to conduct heat from the stator.
ECM machines produce the same torque with less than half the mass(Nm/kg) of many competing designs.
Design files are transferred directly to any PCB manufacturer for mass production using proprietary software.
ECM machines eliminate harmonics from leads (ECM) and winding structures.
Motors integrated with ECM’s technology have a superior quality of motion compared to conventional machines.
• No out-of-plane forces on the stator as a result
of applied torque
• Perfectly loaded in the in-plane, stiff direction
• No tendency for the design to encourage
buckling or plate deflections
• Proven durability
• ECM motors have been run through HALTtesting with impressive results
• Thermal, vibration, cycling
• Durable design:
• Less moving parts
• Fully encapsulated windings
• Durable material: FR-4
• FR-4 is a composite of glass fiber
• Like carbon fiber composite, it compares wellto standard materials, especially when loadedcorrectly
• FR-4 is used in military applications, includingmissile/rocket PCB’s
Heat damaged stator with
burned out windings
PCB stator with fully encapsulated windings
PrintStator, ECM’s PCB stator design andoptimization software, reduces design cycle timeand improves design flexibility.
• PCB Stator Design
• Hollow shaft capability of motor and drive —
through hole design
• Allows media, electrical or mechanical
components to be guided through the motor
• Potential to integrate fan/fluid pump within
• Compact integration with harmonic/planetary
drive torque multipliers
• PrintStator: Design and Optimization Software
• Significantly reduces design cycle time
• Quickly transforms customer application
requirements into an optimized motor
design that’s ready for rapid prototyping and
PrintStator allows considerable flexibility in specifying optimization parameters and design restraints
PrintStator’s optimization capabilities createmachines with efficiencies >90%.
• PrintStator allows for the targeted reduction of resistance and eddy current losses
• Optimizing copper geometries and thickness inPCB stators
• PrintStator has the ability to optimize/restrainall other parameters for the most optimalefficiency result
Increased efficiency and decreased materialscontribute greatly to ECM’s sustainabilityinitiatives as well as its emphasis on cost-effectiveness.
• Up to 80% less raw materials
• PrintStator optimizes magnet and steel mass • PCB Stators require significantly less copperthan conventional motor windings
• Highly efficient motors consume less power andhave a reduced carbon footprint
• ECM’s patented stator design optimizes copper
geometries and winding patterns, delivering
superior efficiency at a reduced cost and
PCB Stators integrate into remarkably thin,
compact, lightweight motors and generators.
• Up to 70% lighter
• Up to 80% less raw materials
• Fewer steel components, simpler part
• Drastically thinner • Planar form factor
• Motor envelope increases in size radially
• Remains axially thin, even at large power
A thermal design which has a continuous copper path from the parts of the stator, where losses originate, to the interface to the case. This is possible due to utilizing portions of the PCB copper that do not carry current.
• Can be shaped and function as “heat pipes” • These non-hollow “heat pipes” are using thecopper to conduct the heat from the center ofthe stator to the outside edge, where the statoris clamped into the case and the heat can berejected to ambient
Both machines processing 500W [L] ECM Motor, [R] Conventional DC Motor
[L] Sitting on an insulated pad (no heat sink) [R] Inside one half of a motor case
ECM’s characteristic form factor and PrintStator’s design capabilities result in extremely torque dense machines.
• PrintStator optimizes copper geometries andwinding patterns, delivering superior torque • ECM motors scale radially rather then axially,producing motors with superior torque in areduced volume
• Very reliable and cost-effective production
• No manual copper winding
• Ability to design and print stators at any of
numerous circuit board printers across the globe • Utilizes Gerber Files that are ubiquitouslyutilized by the printed circuit boardmanufacturing industry
Correctly controlled, ECM machines eliminate
harmonics from leads (electromagnetic) and
winding structures (acoustic).
• Harmonics do not excite mechanical modes inthe motor because it’s not used as a filter
• Forces acting on stator winding can initiatevibration, causing acoustic noise and reliabilityproblems
• ECM coils are fully encapsulated in compositestructure, eliminating this problem
• In conventional motors, cogging torque isproduced, resulting in vibration and acousticnoise
• Lack of iron in ECM stators results in smoothtorque, eliminating cogging and mechanicalexcitation of attached structures as a sourceof noise
Specialized solutions with exact operating parameters.Test Drive PrintStator »
Innovative applications powered by ECM’s PCB stator technology.Discover the Edge »
ECM’s platform is the next evolution in motor technology.Journey Through Time »
PrintStator fundamentally changes the way motors are designed and manufactured. ECM’s advanced design software immediately and automatically transforms motor requirements into optimized, unique PCB stator designs, ready for rapid prototyping and commercial production.