ECM's Core Advantages
Driving competitive advantage through superior technology.
Our patented stator design and PrintStator software offer many advantages to the motor industry.
ECM PCB Stator Advantages Overview
PCB Stator Advantages: High Efficiency Electric Motors
ECM’s patented PCB Stator technology has been integrated in motors with efficiencies in excess of 90%.
- Lower operating costs
- Extended battery life
- Lower carbon footprint
PrintStator’s optimization capabilities can create machines with superior efficiency.
- Optimizing the copper geometries and thickness of traces in PCB stators for the targeted reduction of efficiency losses – resistance and eddy current.
- Optimizing/ restraining all other design parameters for the most optimal efficiency result.
Lightweight and Compact Solutions
The unique form factor of PCB Stators enables remarkably compact, ultra-thin and lightweight motors.
PrintStator optimizes the use of copper and other materials to provide superior torque with less mass.
- Up to 70% lighter
- Up to 80% less raw materials
- No iron in PCB Stators
PrintStator creates Low Volume Motors for Compact System Integration.
- Planar form factor: Remains ultra-thin even at large power ratings.
- Compact integration with torque multipliers.
PCB Stator Advantages: Increased Durability
The ECM PCB Stator’s continuous coil design and fully encapsulated windings eliminate many of the failures common to traditionally wound motors and increase life expectancy.
- ECM motors have been HALT tested with impressive results.
- ECM machines are weather resistant and fully operable in oil and salt-water environments.
Reliable, robust design for longer motor life.
- Durable design: Less moving parts, less vibration.
- Durable material: FR-4 is a composite of glass fiber used in military applications, including missile/rocket PCB’s.
Superior Quality of Motion
ECM motors have zero cogging and smooth torque for a superior quality of motion compared to conventional machines.
- Cogging is eliminated because ECM motors are air core machines with PCB Stators that have no iron.
Exceptional pointing accuracy and precision.
- Ability to create actuators with absolute resolution.
- 24-bit encoder = 16,777,216 discrete positions.
High Torque Density
PrintStator designs electric motors that deliver more torque with less mass.
Up to 30% less mass compared to competing designs.
- PrintStator’s optimal use of copper and other raw materials results in extremely torque dense machines.
Motors with high power density but minimal axial-length and weight.
- The flexible form factor of ECM motors also enables extremely compact motor and gearbox integrations.
- Stacking multiple PCB Motors on the same shaft is also possible.
PCB Stator Advantages: Low Noise & EMI
PCB Stator Motors produce significantly less electromagnetic interference and acoustic noise.
Up to 30db quieter.
- ECM coils are fully encapsulated in composite structure, eliminating acoustic noise and reliability problems caused from vibration and other forces on traditional stator windings.
- Zero cogging motors eliminate mechanical excitation of attached structures as a source of noise.
ECM motors are considered to produce the least EMI of any competitive motor.
- Harmonics do not excite mechanical modes in the motor because it’s not used as a filter.
Increased Thermal Performance
PrintStator embeds patented thermal features in each motor design for safe continuous operation.
- Effective thermal features enable motors that do not require active cooling
- ECM PCB Stators utilize a continuous copper path from the loss generating parts of the stator, to the case where heat can be rejected to ambient:
- These non-current-carrying portions of the PCB copper function as “heat pipes”
- These non-hollow “heat pipes” conduct heat from the center of the stator to the outside edge, where the stator is clamped into the case
PCB Stator Advantages: Unique Design Flexibility
PrintStator reduces design cycle time and improves design flexibility, ultimately producing the most optimized solution for every application.
- Exact Solutions with PrintStator
- Automatically designs motors with exact operating characteristics
- Significantly reduces design cycle time – Eliminates human error
- Design Optimization – For Efficiency, Cost, Size, Weight, Voltage, etc.
- Revolutionizing motor capability through design opportunity
- Ability to design motors as thin annular rings or with hollow shafts – Compact motor+gear integrations, unique propeller integrations, etc.
- Other Motor Shapes – Segmented Stators, Circles or Rectangles
- Stacked Motor Designs – For limited diameter applications
- Specialized Case/ Rotor Designs – Ultralight, System integration, etc.
ECM’s technology leverages the well-stablished manufacturing methods used in the construction of all printed circuit boards (PCBs) to enable the cost-effective and reliable production of PCB stator motors.
- No manual copper winding
- Unmatched time-to-market and scalability
- Enables Global Production
Each PrintStator design automatically generates a file, used to print the specific stator.
- Immediately produces Gerber Files for each design – a set of printing instructions for the stator utilized by the global PCB manufacturing industry
- Rapid Manufacturing – Your designs from paper to tested prototype motor in <12 weeks
Sustainable Motor Design
Increased energy efficiency and the decreased use of raw materials contribute greatly to ECM’s sustainability initiatives as well as its emphasis on cost-effectiveness.
- Up to 80% less raw materials – PrintStator optimizes the use of raw materials
- Optimized magnet and steel mass
- PCB Stators require significantly less copper than conventional motor windings
- Highly efficient motors do more work with less power and have a reduced carbon footprint
- ECM motors have power efficiencies in excess of 90%.